Improving Process Heating System Performance
Credit: 11 PDH
Course Fee: $66.00
This course provides process heating system stakeholders with a reference describing basic process heating processes and equipment, and outlines opportunities for energy and performance improvements. The course also discusses the merits of using a systems approach in identifying and implementing these improvement opportunities. It is not intended to be a comprehensive technical text on improving process heating systems, but serves as a document that raises awareness of potential performance improvement opportunities, provides practical guidelines, and offers suggestions on where to find additional help. The course consists of the following sections:
Section 1: Process Heating System Basics
For users unfamiliar with the basics of process heating systems, or for users seeking a refresher, a brief discussion of the equipment, processes, and applications is provided.
Section 2: Performance Improvement Opportunities
This section discusses key factors for improving the performance of process heating systems.
Section 3: Best Practices Process Heating Performance Improvement Tools
This section describes several resources and tools developed through the best practices initiative within DOE’s Industrial Technologies Program.
Section 4: Process Heating System Economics
To support the improvement opportunities presented in Section 2, this section provides recommendations to justify process heating improvement projects using economic reasoning.
Section 5: Where to Find Help
In addition to a comprehensive listing of resources and tools, this section contains a directory of associations and other organizations engaged in enhancing process heating system efficiency.
- Process Heating System Basics
- Systems Approach
- Components of a Typical Process Heating System
- Common Types of Process Heating Systems and Equipment
- Process Heating Equipment Classification
- Process Heating Energy Sources
- Basic Process Heating Operations
- Performance Improvement Opportunities
- Heat Generation
- Heat Transfer
- Heat Containment
- Heat Recovery
- Enabling Technologies
- Best Practices Process Heating Performance Improvement Tools
- Process Heating Assessment and Survey Tool (PHAST)
- NOx Emission Assessment Tool (NxEAT)
- The Combined Heat and Power (CHP) System Application Toolfor the Process Heating Industry
- Process Heating Systems Economics
- Understanding Corporate Priorities
- Measuring the Dollar Impact of Efficiency
- Presenting the Finance of Efficiency
- Relating Efficiency to Corporate Priorities
- Call to Action
- Where to Find Help
- The Industrial Technologies Program and Best Practices
- Directory of Contacts
- Industrial Heating Equipment Association (IHEA)
- Other Process Heating System Contacts
- Resources and Tools
US Department of Energy
Review the quiz before studying the course.
Acrobat Reader is required to view this document. Click here to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.